A Safe Backyard for Kids
Pool & Spa Hazards for Children
Drowning is a leading cause of death to children under 5. And many drownings occur at home. Take these simple precautions:
- Always supervise children who are in and around a pool or spa.
- Have fences or walls at least four feet high completely around the pool. Gates should be self-closing and self-latching, with latches out of reach of children.
- Keep rescue equipment by the pool, including a portable or mobile telephone.
- Steps and ladders for aboveground pools should be secured or removed when the pool is not in use.
- Use a cover for the pool when it is not in use.
- Make sure drain covers are properly fitted and paired or have vacuum suction releases to prevent being trapped under water.
- Consider installing a pool alarm that can alert if someone enters the pool.
- Spa water temperatures should be set to 104 F or lower to avoid elevated body temperature, which could lead to drowsiness, unconsciousness, heat stroke, or death.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.